Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hey Dad,


"Dad! I want to make a robot for the 4th grade science fair."

"Okay, Ryan-you'll need to find a lot of parts to make something like that."

"Dad! I read all 30 chapter books this weekend for the read-a-thon in Mr. Jackson's class, can you sign off for me?"

"Ryan, did you really read that many books? I saw you playing video games a lot."

"Dad! Can I borrow the car? Dad! Can I borrow some money? Dad! Can you help me with my math homework? Dad! Can I please not mow the lawn today? Dad! Dad! Dad!"

I think I annoyed my dad. A lot. Always asking for things, always trying to one up him, always trying to live up to who I knew he knew I could be...

But I fell down. Sometimes too much, but he was always willing to be there and pick me up.

Why? Because he chose to.

"Hey Dad, I totaled Mom's car on the freeway, can you come pick me up?"
"Sure Ry, I'll be there soon."

"Hey Dad, I'm having a really hard time handling what's going on right now, can I have a blessing?"
"No problem Ryan, come over when you can."

"Hey Dad, I'm sorry I was so mean to you today; I'll be better tomorrow."
"I know Ry. I know."

"Hey Dad, thank you for teaching me the importance of being humble. I hope I can one day say as the people said to King Benjamin, 'because of the Spirit...which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually.' I'll be better today, than I was yesterday."

Why? Because I choose to.

1 comment: