Total Pageviews

Monday, June 28, 2010

Walking the hard steps using MATH?



"Arbiter Sports this is Ryan, how can I help you?"

"Yeah, I can't log into your website, can you help?"

"No problem, let me look up your information."

"Okay, I show here that your password is your last name in all lower case letters."

"What does that mean?"

I was dumb founded. How do I explain what lower case letters meant? That's something you learned...in the womb or something!

"Umm, type your name in all little letters. First type "s"

"Where is s?"

"It's by the letter "a"

"Oh, okay."

After this typical day at work, I thought about the fact that we all have problems. Whether they are present problems or future problems. Large problems or small.

I've been taking a lot of math the last 2 months, and I've seen how the way you approach an equation (a problem) is similar to the way we should approach a problem problem:
  1. Write out the problem, think about the best way to approach the problem.
  2. Try out what you feel you should do.
  3. If the problem doesn't seem to be working out the way you thought, go back and re-work it.
  4. If you still can't find a solution, talk to someone that knows how to work out problems similar to the one you have.
  5. Be willing to listen to your "tutors" and thank them for their help.

At times you may come across a similar problem, and you think that you're doing everything right until you get toward the end of your problem and you realize its not working out.

Why? Because you started with a negative.

I guess math really can apply to you in real life...

Except... for finding the lower case s.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... Ryan, this is very inspirational! I love it!! I never looked at math in this way. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete